[DEBATE] : 500 activists at Gaza solidarity event in East London
okhela at iafrica.com
Sat Jan 31 12:51:22 GMT 2009
Gaza - what can we do?
Today there was a two hour picket in front of the East London (Eastern Cape)
City Hall called by the Al Imdaad Foundation. The picket last from 10 am to
12 pm and attracted reams of signatures from passersby on the busy Saturday
pedestrian traffic in Oxford Street below the Steve Biko Memorial Statue.
An estimated 500 activists who picketed, the majority of whom were women
Pamphlets and speeches called for further actions and suggestions for action
1. What is required, most importantly is prayer, individually and in
congregations with your forehead on the ground, as the Prophet Jesus prayed,
asking the One and Only Creator, Sustainer and Redeemer, for deliverance and
peace from the atrocities perpetrated by the Zionists for decades against
the Palestinian People. Entrances to Gaza need to be opened allowing food
and supplies to enter. The withdrawal of Israeli tanks maintaining a
strangling siege around Gaza to be immediately withdrawn.
2. A fast from dawn to dusk is required until the calamities and
torment of the Palestinian people has ended.
3. It is necessary to make people aware of the reality and the facts
of the situation that has unfolded during 60 years of Zionist occupation,
aggression, massacres in an ongoing genocide being committed against the
4. Speaking and teaching our families and friends about the situation
5. Use emails, websites and networks to distribute information on the
plight of the Palestinian People.
6. Put out notices on boards at your places of work, study and public
7. Give out handbills to distribute in your areas and to the public.
8. Hold regular placard demonstrations and pickets.
9. Organize meetings, public talks and lectures about the situation in
10. Unite with civic organizations, workers unions, students and parent
organizations and avoid scandals of division.
11. Boycott Israeli products, businesses and cut all cultural and sports
12. Rally our Governments to break all relations with the state of Israel
13. Rally our Governments to break with the United Nations if it persists
in being controlled by members in the Security Council whose primary
objective is to support and militarily sustain the state of Israel.
14. Collect goods, funds and deposit directly into reception points and
accounts of organizations such as Al Imdaad and Gift of the Givers. Do not
give the funds to bodies related to the Palestinian Authority of Abbas, its
embassies or Fatah! When depositing, fax and copy to indicate that your gift
is for Gaza.
15. Think of other ways that we can do something.
Details to make donations:
Account name: Al Imdaad Foundation
Branch: Estcourt, FNB
Branch Code: 220325
Swift Code: FIRNZAJJ
Reference: ZAKAAT / LILLAH ? ETC
More information about the Debate-list