[DEBATE] : Fw: Info/Press Work on Ian Tomlinson - latest press release to follow later
m_redmond at btinternet.com
m_redmond at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 9 11:53:27 BST 2009
People will be watching the Independent(HA HA) Police Complaints Commission to see if there is the same stich up over Ian Tonmlinson as there was over Jean Charles de Menezes. See blog:
--- On Wed, 8/4/09, Mark Barrett <marknbarrett at googlemail.com> wrote:
From: Mark Barrett <marknbarrett at googlemail.com>
Subject: [peopleincommon] Info/Press Work on Ian Tomlinson - latest press release to follow later
To: "g20_meltdown at lists.aktivix.org" <g20_meltdown at lists.aktivix.org>, "Peopleincommon" <peopleincommon at lists.riseup.net>, "Richard Braude" <richard.braude at googlemail.com>, "press at climatecamp.org.uk" <press at climatecamp.org.uk>
Date: Wednesday, 8 April, 2009, 8:08 AM
GETTING TO THE TRUTH
Statement read at the demonstration Saturday 4th March.
If you would like more information / for our latest press release pls email g20witnesses at gmail.com
• We would firstly like to express condolences to the family and friends of Ian Tomlinson who died on Wednesday.
• Multiple witnesses have now come forward who saw Mr. Tomlinson before his death on Wednesday.
• One eye witness said:
“The police surrounded the collapsed man. I was standing with the person who'd called 999. The ambulance dispatcher wanted to talk to the police, the phone was being held out to them, but the police refused."
• Another eye witness said
“I saw a man violently propelled forward (as though he’d been flung by the arm) and fall forward on his head. He hit the top front area of his head on the pavement. I noticed his fall particularly because it struck me as a horrifically forceful push by a policeman and an especially hard fall; it made me wince.’
• We now have compelling evidence that Ian Tomlinson’s death may have been caused by the police – eye-witnesses have confirmed to us that he was pushed back from police lines, falling heavily and hitting his head, prior to his collapse.
• He was initially treated by protesters and their statements raise questions about the police meeting their duty of care to Mr.Tomlinson.
• The family should contact an independent lawyer immediately to arrange a second Post Mortem – this is their right. The family should be independently represented at the inquest that will follow. This must be a jury inquest.
• Our aim is to establish the truth and let the public know. We will use the internet and the press to put all the information we gather into the public domain.
• Witnesses will cooperate fully with the Independent Police Complaints Commission, however we remain sceptical about their process of investigation and the eventual outcome and we call for a full public enquiry to look into Mr. Tomlinson’s death and the police tactics used throughout the G20 protests.
• We ask the family to contact us urgently and not to rely on what they are being told by the police – the police are not independent and are likely to see the defence of their own members and organisation as their prime aim. We ask the family to urgently contact INQUEST on 0207 263 1111 so we can put them in touch with these witnesses.
More information about the Debate-list