[DEBATE] : (Fwd) Women fight rape in Eastern Cape
pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Apr 1 05:28:36 BST 2009
Women threaten panties protest
A GROUP of women protesters outside the Mthatha High Court yesterday
threatened to “ strip down to their underwear” to ensure a suspected
wife killer is denied bail at his court appearance today.
The women – all members of the ANC Women’s League (ANCWL) – want the
court to deny 34-year-old South African National Defence Force member
Lundi Doba bail.
He stands accused of killing his school teacher wife, Wendy Nxusana, on
Her sister Auto Nxusana said the couple, who married without their
families’ knowledge, had problems because he apparently suspected her of
having an affair.
The angry women toyi-toyed outside the court and called for the death
penalty to be reinstated following a spate of rapes and murders of women
over the last month.
One of these was the rape and murder of a five-year-old girl in Ngquza,
outside Lusikisiki, on March 17. The girl’s uncle has been charged and
is scheduled to appear in the Lusikisiki Magistrate’s Court today.
Other victims of murder and rape during March include 27-year-old
Lungiswa Ndunyane, whose body was discovered in Ngangelizwe Township
with a bullet wound on March 28.
A 35-year-old teacher at the Masibambisane Senior Primary School,
Vatiswa Sweli, was also gunned down, while going to work on the morning
of March 11.
Before presenting a memorandum to magistrates Onke Myataza and Nkokeli
Mdodana, a member of the ANCWL provincial committee Thokozile Sokhanyile
demanded that suspects accused of crimes against women be denied bail.
The memorandum listed all the women who had been raped and killed in March.
“If the suspects get bail, you will see us marching back to this court
only in panties,” she said.
“The list of grievances we are handing over to you is non-negotiable.
“We will be in court … (today) to see if you adhere to our grievances.”
Sokhanyile also called for the re- arrest of suspects who had previously
been granted bail.
Myataza reassured the protesters that the courts took every rape and
murder case seriously.
“This case (the murder of Nxusana) will find us ready for it,” he said.
The ANCWL said they would also send the memorandum to Eastern Cape
Premier Mbulelo Sogoni and to President Kgalema Motlanthe - By LULAMILE
FENI and BONGANI HANS, Mthatha Bureau
More information about the Debate-list