[DEBATE] : (Fwd) ANCorruption (cont.): Selebi falls, Mbeki breaks landing

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Sun Jan 13 05:40:57 GMT 2008

www.sundaytimes.co.za

Dinner with Selebi — yours for just R10m
JOCELYN MAKER and KIM HAWKEY Published:Jan 13, 2008

‘Kebble wanted to know how much it would take to secure a relationship
with Jackie’

‘They wanted Jackie in their camp. In other words, they wanted to buy
his allegiance’

As well as giving money to top cop, says Agliotti, he profited from him

GLENN Agliotti charged Brett Kebble R10-million to introduce him to
National Police Commissioner Jackie Selebi.

Agliotti at the time was in the habit of giving Selebi cash payments and
buying him expensive gifts.

One man fed financially off the other and both now stand accused of
committing crimes — Agliotti for his role in the murder of Brett Kebble
and Selebi for corruption.

It is alleged that, over an 18-month period, Selebi accepted more than
R1.2- million from Agliotti — and that, as head of Interpol and South
Africa’s top cop, he turned a blind eye to his “best friend’s”
involvement in drug dealing.

The first hand-out Agliotti made to Selebi was almost 18 years ago when
he paid R1200 for his son’s medical bills.

The cheque payment was made after Agliotti met Selebi at Shell House by
chance while trying to make a deal with the newly unbanned ANC to import
Korean clothing into South Africa.

In an affidavit made in November 2007, Agliotti spelt out his
relationship with the top cop:

“My interactions with Jackie Selebi have extended over a period of
several years. In 1990 I wanted to bring in second-hand clothing.

“I decided to go to the ANC. My idea was for them to get the import
permit. I would import the clothing, sell it and then donate a portion
to the ANC for their repatriation programme.

“Whilst trying to arrange this, I for the first time met Jackie. Meeting
him was purely coincidental at Shell House.

“Jackie said he had to pay his son’s medical bill and could not afford it.”

Agliotti asked him how much it was and gave him a cheque there and then .

At another meeting, Selebi introduced Agliotti to Yusuf Surtee, a close
friend of Nelson Mandela.

Selebi told Surtee that Agliotti had helped him by paying his son’s
medical costs.

“During my interactions with Yusuf he had told me that he had a problem
regarding a woman he was seeing in Cape Town. Her husband or boyfriend
had threatened him. In an attempt to help Yusuf, I introduced him to
[bodyguard and security expert Paul Stemmet] who undertook to sort out
his problem.

“I was not present when Yusuf discussed his problem with Stemmet.
Shortly afterwards Stemmet told me in person that he would be going to
Cape Town to sort Yusuf’s problem out.

“He said that he would plant drugs in this person’s house and have him
arrested. Stemmet said that this would take care of the problem.”

Agliotti said he did not know the outcome of Surtee’s problem but was
told by Stemmet that it had been taken care of.

In about 2000, Agliotti was told by Stemmet that he was going to meet
Selebi at Woodmead, Johannesburg. Stemmet told Agliotti that Selebi was
a very good friend and that it was Surtee who had introduced them.

Agliotti also went to Woodmead because he wanted to give Selebi a
surprise as the two had not seen each other since the Shell House
meeting in 1990. By this time Selebi was a commissioner in the South
African Police Service.

“Jackie recognized me and was happy to see me and told me that I must
give him a call so that we could chat.”

Agliotti was signed on as a police informant by a Captain Morne Nel in
about 2000, and given the code name Piccone.

“I received R100 000 as an informer payment from Nel. This money was
paid to me for the Kya Sands mandrax bust. It was paid in R200 notes.”

An event featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Nelson Mandela where money
was raised for the Special Olympics brought him and Selebi closer.
During this time — 1995 to 2003 — Agliotti was living with a Dianne
Muller, who came up with the idea that the police would take part in a
“torch run” event which was to start on Robben Island and end at the
steps of Parliament in Cape Town.

Agliotti made the arrangements with Schwarzenegger’s people.

Selebi loved the idea, saying he would ensure that 1000 policemen took
part in the run.

“It was in this period that the relationship between Jackie and I really
started to grow stronger,” said Agliotti, who also refers to his friend
as Bra Jacks, Jackie, Nascom and Chief.

“We both shopped at [Sandton City menswear shop] Grays and met regularly
at the Brazilian Coffee Shop in Sandton. This interaction strengthened
and developed into a friendship.

“It was about this time that I had been told by Stemmet that he was
working for the Kebbles as well. He asked me to meet with them as they
had requested it. I met with Brett Kebble at Melrose House .

“We discussed various matters in general as we had attended the same
school. Brett told me that I should work with his right-hand man and
gave me the contact details of a John Stratton.”

Later Agliotti said he called Stratton and they met at Melrose House.

“We built up a relationship and discussed trading opportunities. Over
this period Brett began expressing his interest in meeting Jackie.
Stratton and Brett insisted on meeting with Jackie.”

Agliotti said he did not know why controversial mining magnate Kebble
wanted to meet the top cop, and said Stratton and Kebble would not
enlighten him. But, he said, he was later told by both men that they
wanted to run a counter-operation against rival mining house Durban
Roodepoort Deep .

He said the Kebbles wanted to expose Associated Intelligence Network
(AIN), DRD’s Mark Wellesley-Wood, and the whole DRD saga that had caused
them trouble. Kebble and Stratton were furious with the way in which
Wellesley- Wood and AIN had discredited the Kebbles’ company, JCI, and
the Kebble family.

“I told them both that Jackie was a very close friend of mine and that I
would take their official complaints directly to him.

“I told them that we had been friends for many years and that their
complaints and concerns would be prioritised and receive preferential
treatment from Selebi.

“Stratton told me that as part of their strategy, they had employed
Judge Willem Heath’s company to compile a formal complaint against DRD.

“I went to Jackie and told him that I was working with the Kebbles. I
told him that they wanted to lodge an official complaint against DRD,
[Wellesley]-Wood[s], and AIN. Jackie told me to bring the official
complaint to him and that he would attend to it.”

At this time Agliotti was again asked by Stratton to set up a meeting
with Selebi. He told Selebi that he was bringing Heath and Stratton to
meet him .

He said Selebi told him to talk to commissioners Lalla and Mphego.
Before going to a meeting with the SAPS, Stratton and Heath, Agliotti
knew that they wanted to give boxes full of secret documents to the
policemen.

He said Lalla had told him to meet with Mphego, who he met outside
Melrose House.

It was during this meeting that Stratton divulged the scope and extent
of all the information they had gathered.

After further meetings between SAPS and their legal teams, both Stratton
and Kebble asked Agliotti what was in this for him as everyone the
Kebbles dealt with wanted money.

“I was in it for the money as well. I, however, saw more gains for
myself in a long-term relationship rather than a short one. I therefore
told them I wanted a long-term relationship.

“I did not want a fee but rather business deals. Brett told me that
Stratton ran the budget. They were persistent and wanted to know how
much it would take to secure a relationship with Jackie in order to have
him in their camp. In other words, they wanted to buy his allegiance.”

Agliotti said that at the same time a project was hatched by Kebble and
Stratton to get then National Director of Public Prosecutions Bulelani
Ngcuka out of office.

“Kebble and Stratton told me that they wanted to get rid of Bulelani
Ngcuka’s wife, [then minister of Mineral Affairs] Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka
because they saw her as a huge threat to their mining operations.

“I was told by Stratton that one of the Shaik brothers was paid R100 000
to facilitate a woman to come forward and expose that she was under age
at the time that she had been made pregnant by Bulelani Ngcuka.

“I was present when Stratton phoned Mo Shaik and discussed it with him.

“The Kebbles wanted access to SAPS and they wanted to have the
[Scorpions] closed down.

“I was requested to arrange that the Kebbles meet with Jackie.

“It took me as long as a year to arrange the meeting because I was
worried that once the Kebbles met with Jackie that they would no longer
need me.

“I wanted to remain in business with the Kebbles. Jackie was also
sceptical at the time about meeting them.

“I saw this as an opportunity for financial gain for myself.

“I made up my own figure of 1-million . At the time it was about
R10-million. This was an amount thought out by me and no one else. I
knew that the Kebbles would pay this to me if I introduced them to
Jackie. I did not ask them for more than that as I did not want to
appear to be greedy and jeopardise the relationship.

“Brett and Stratton ... were happy and agreed to the amount.

“The meeting took place with Brett and Stratton, myself and Jackie.

“Jackie had approximately four to five dinner meetings with them. I was
always present. At these meetings, we did not discuss business, it was
always a social get-together.

“We never discussed money. I saw the opportunity for Jackie to possibly
join the company as a BEE partner at a later stage.”

Agliotti said at the time the Kebbles were unhappy with work done by
Stemmet. Agliotti introduced them to security expert Clinton Nassif .

He said Nassif told him that if he ever had tax problems he could sort
them out. Agliotti told him the Kebbles had huge problems and asked him
to sort them out.

Nassif — who eventually became the Kebbles’ security chief, and was
implicated in the murder of Brett Kebble — also claimed to be very well
connected in the Attorney-General’s and could take care of legal problems.

“I went to the Kebbles and proposed to them that they should make use of
Nassif’s services. I always referred to him as “the kid”. They did not
know who he was at that stage. I only later introduced him to them.”

He said the Kebbles were concerned that Nassif would not have the right
influence or connections. “I convinced them that he worked with Jackie.
This was a lie. They had never met.”

The Kebbles were happy with Nassif and he began working for them.

Agliotti said Nassif told him that it would cost big money to sort out
their problems and that he would make the guys pay for his services.

Agliotti said a shelf company called Springlights was used to pay him
his R10-million Selebi introduction fee — and to receive money from the
Kebbles that Agliotti paid to the national commissioner of police.

***

Jan 13 2008 2:16AM You are not currently logged in. Click here to
Login/Register

How the cash was doled out
Published:Jan 13, 2008

THE R5000 PAYMENTS

Before the Springlights account became operational Agliotti made many
payments to Selebi, he said in his affidavit.

He used money he made from his deals and often handed envelopes over to
the top cop.

Many of these payments were made at Mavericks in Midrand .

“I cannot remember exactly how many payments of R5000 I made to him. I
do recall that most of these payments were made out of my own pocket.”

When Selebi visited Mavericks with his driver Andries, he always met
Agliotti in the boardroom.

“Jackie would say that he was broke and needed some cash. I would then
go to my desk where I would take R5000 from my briefcase. I put the
money into an envelope, sealed it and handed it to him inside the
boardroom.”

THE R10000 PAYMENTS

“I can not recall exactly how many payments of R10 000 I made to Jackie.
Once again he would on numerous occasions phone me and ask how I was
doing and where I was. I would tell I was at Mavericks.

“Jackie would tell me that ‘he was short’ and I would then suggest ‘10’
referring to R10 000. He would then confirm the time and place of the
meeting and end the conversation.”

THE R50 000 PAYMENTS

“I recall paying Jackie on no more than two or three occasions an amount
of R50 000 in cash.

“Due to my relationship with the Kebbles and JCI, I became the one who
initiated the calls to Jackie when I wanted to give him money.

“I would phone and tell him to come around as I had ‘something’ I wanted
to give him.

“I became well aware that the money from JCI was flowing frequently into
the ‘Springlights’ account and that there was cash available to make
payments. I would instruct Flint either telephonically or in person to
withdraw a certain amount of cash. I gave Jackie these extra amounts of
cash because we had the money. I felt that these payments would further
strengthen my relationship with Jackie. This did happen.

“These payments always took place in the boardroom at Mavericks.”

THE R110 000 PAYMENT

When Selebi needed money he called Agliotti who instructed Flint to draw
the amount from the Springlights account.

At Mavericks Agliotti claims he added R10 000 of his own money to the
R100 000.

“Dianne and I then put the cash into a big envelope and sealed it.
Jackie arrived. I then handed him the envelope containing the cash. I
walked him to his car where I greeted him and he left.”

THE R200 000 PAYMENT
“I recall very clearly making a payment of R200 000 in cash to Jackie.
This payment was done during the month of December 2004 shortly before
Christmas.

“Jackie asked me to meet him at the Mavericks boardroom. When I got
there he told me that he needed R1-million.

“I told him I would make a plan but that I could not give it to him all
at once. He left.”

Agliotti said he instructed Flint to draw R200 000. When the cash became
available he called Selebi and they again met in Midrand.

His girlfriend Dianne helped him put the money into a container. Selebi
arrived and the money was given to him.

“I remember mentioning to Jackie that I would give him a call as soon as
things was [sic] ready, referring to the next payment.”

GIFTS WORTH R70 000

Over the weekends Selebi and Agliotti would meet socially on a regular
basis.

“We would go to the Brazilian Coffee Shop in Sandton City. On some
occasions we would go to Gray’s to buy clothing.

“I remember that on some occasions, while buying clothing, Jackie would
comment on how nice a certain article looked. I would then say to him to
buy it. Sometimes he would say that it was either too expensive or he
could not afford it. I would then tell him that it was a present from me
and that he must take it. I would then instruct the shop assistant to
bill my account.

“Amongst the goods that I bought for him at Gray’s were jackets, shirts,
shoes, suits and, if I am not mistaken, a few ties. I do recall that I
also bought him and myself each a pair of black Versace shoes from
Harrods in London as well as a pair of brown suede Louis Vuitton shoes
in Hong Kong.

“Once in Gray’s, he mentioned that he needed to buy a pair of shoes for
the President. He added that the President had difficulty in finding
shoes to fit him. I offered to pay for the shoes, which I did. ”

Agliotti said he once met Selebi in Sandton with his two sons.

He took them to his ex-wife’s shop, Fubu, where he gave them clothing.
He claims he also bought Selebi’s wife Ann gifts and birthday presents
from the Lacoste, Louis Vuitton and Gucci shops in Sandton.

“I would either pay by means of cash or credit card at the
above-mentioned stores. I recall buying the kids Fubu jeans, caps and a
couple of T-shirts. The payment for the clothes was offset against the
shareholders’ loan account, meaning that the clothes were never paid for.

“Over a period of approximately seven years, I would estimate that I
spent about R70 000 in gifts and clothing for Jackie and his family.

“The reason for me buying these gifts was to ‘network’ with Jackie. By
this I mean to maintain a favourable association, which at the time was
important for me and my relationship with the Kebbles.” — Jocelyn Maker

***

Jan 13 2008 2:16AM You are not currently logged in. Click here to
Login/Register

How the big pals did little favours for each other
JESSICA BEZUIDENHOUT Published:Jan 13, 2008

SMILING GANGSTER: Glenn Agliotti at court in October 2007. He allegedly
paid Jackie Selebi more than R1-million for various favours Picture:
SIMPHIWE NKWALI

Glenn Agliotti’s police cell writings detail how he paid the ‘Nascom’ to
make problems go away
IN EXCHANGE for the envelopes of cash, the Versace shoes or Hugo Boss
outfits, Jackie Selebi owed his gangster friend — big time.

Now the two, who clearly had the same penchant for expensive imported
clothing, might land up in the dock together.

A chilling picture of give-and- take has emerged since Glenn Agliotti
started putting it down in writing while sitting alone in holding cells
at the Sandton Police Station in November 2006.

The alleged corrupt relationship between the world’s top cop and his
underworld friend cover more than R1-million in payments to Selebi for a
variety of backhand favours, including promises to cancel arrest
warrants for criminals.

In 2002, when he was tipped off about Agliotti’s involvement in a
R105-million mandrax deal, the national police commissioner turned a
blind eye.

Instead, Selebi rewarded the informer who had squealed on his friend by
authorising a R500 000 reward for providing information in that case.

During 2004 and 2005 the police received five reports from UK
authorities about Agliotti’s suspicious dealings and visits to London.
They asked the South African police to launch a criminal investigation.

Selebi opted to share some of these reports with his friend in a car
park at Makro in Woodmead, north of Johannesburg.

In his own words, Agliotti said: “The third document he showed me
contained e-mails from Paul O’Sullivan to Robyn Plitt and Andrew Leask
[Scorpions investigators]. This is the only written document he handed
to me. JS requested me to show this document to my legal representative
in order to discredit O’Sullivan on the basis that he was an MI5 operative.

“It was very clear to me that Jackie called for the meeting because he
wanted to make me aware of the fact the United Kingdom authorities were
looking into my criminal activities and trips to the UK.”

When fugitive from justice Billy Rautenbach needed help to sort out a
niggly arrest warrant that was in place against him in South Africa,
Agliotti went to his friend, Nascom (short for national commissioner).

Rautenbach was wanted on hundreds of counts of fraud, bribery and money
laundering, particularly in connection with motor industry deals.

Selebi arrived for a meeting with Rautenbach’s foreign lawyer in a
Sandton hotel dressed in full police uniform.

Agliotti later collected 40 000 although he paid Selebi only 30 000 in
exchange for a promise to cancel Rautenbach’s warrant.

“JS further informed that me that he had checked on the Interpol
computer system that there was no Red Notice for his arrest, which
enabled Rautenbach to fly to London and see his son,” Agliotti wrote.

Acting National Director of Public Prosecutions, Mokotedi Mpshe, in an
affidavit responding to Selebi’s Pretoria High Court application this
week also revealed how Selebi had approached the prosecuting authority
to drop the investigation into Rautenbach because “... as he put it, he
[Selebi] was in possession of a letter that will embarrass the NPA
should it come out in a trial”.

When Agliotti asked his chum to meet with troubled mining tycoon Brett
Kebble, Selebi went along — several times.

Kebble’s empire was crumbling and this desperate man needed a some
inside allegiance.

“It had become apparent that the Kebbles needed to meet with Jackie and
that I was the key to this. I saw this as an opportunity for financial
gain for myself. I knew money was not a problem for the Kebbles ... I
realised the importance for them to get Jackie on board. Jackie was an
important and influential figure.

“Jackie had four to five dinner meetings with the Kebbles. I was always
present,” Agliotti said in an affidavit submitted at the Pretoria High
Court this week.

On the night of the Kebble murder and days thereafter, Selebi called
Agliotti several times.

Just two days after Kebble’s murder in September 2005, the country’s
police commissioner asked his friend for R30 000. Later he would warn
Agliotti that his cellphone number had come up in the course of the
Scorpions investigation. The Scorpions later arrested Agliotti for his
role in the murder.

Agliotti said Selebi did not trust Kebble’s former security chief, Clint
Nassif, and initially refused to meet him.

Later Agliotti would take Selebi, along with his girlfriend, to meet
Nassif at the Meat Company in Melrose Arch. The three met Jordanian
billionaire Eyhab Jumean, former husband of Miss SA Teen 2000, Gina Athans.

A police reservist, Bradford Wood (‘Bad Brad’ from the first Big Brother
reality show), was giving the couple trouble and Selebi’s help was
needed. Shortly thereafter a senior policeman had Wood removed from the
police reservist system.

***

‘Drunken’ statement couldn’t help top cop
KIM HAWKEY Published:Jan 13, 2008

NATIONAL Police Commissioner Jackie Selebi went to the Pretoria High
Court on Friday believing that his friend, Glenn Agliotti had come
through for him — again.

Just weeks after Agliotti ratted on him with a confessional-affidavit
detailing the alleged corrupt relationship between them, Agliotti was
called off the golf course to make a new statement to change his tune.

Designed to add power to Selebi’s claim that the Scorpions case against
him was motivated by a political conspiracy, the statement, submitted
during his desperate court bid on Friday, was made after Agliotti had
“partaken of a late lunch and had drunk a substantial amount of wine”.

A few days later, once sober, Selebi’s convicted drug-trafficker friend
changed his mind and opted to stick with the Scorpions and statements
already made under oath and in the presence of his legal team.

In a giant blow to Selebi, Agliotti had, unbeknown to him, traded
allegiances and retracted the January 4 statement he had made to the
police.

Titled JS2 in the court record, Agliotti’s four-page statement made
damning claims against the Scorpions, claiming they were out to tarnish
his reputation while also trying to discredit Selebi in order to
destablise the country.

The statement talks of a “political project” to overthrow law
enforcement and the intelligence agency of SA to benefit the CIA and the
FBI — labelled “funders of the DSO” — and as part of a strategy to save
the DSO [the Scorpions] by making it look good.

It included further allegations that ANC president Jacob Zuma, Selebi,
and former NIA boss, Billy Masetla, were others targeted in the same
“political game”.

But this week Agliotti claimed that the allegations in the earlier
statement were lies. In his last statement, made one week later on
January 11 and filed by the state in its opposition to Selebi’s urgent
application, Agliotti spells out how he was misled into signing the
earlier statement.

Agliotti said he was enticed into signing the statement on the evening
of January 4 at the Balalaika Hotel in Sandton, northern Johannesburg.

In this statement, Agliotti denied the contents of the earlier
statement, saying it was riddled with factual errors, was signed by him
under false pretences and without an opportunity to consult his lawyers.

He said he signed the statement at a meeting with a group of people,
including the Director-General of National Intelligence Manala Manzini,
and deputy head of police intelligence Assistant Police Commissioner
Mulangi Mphego. He did so believing that it would help secure him
indemnity in his pending criminal matters.

***

Selebi on Agliotti: ‘He’s not very sharp, he’s just a nice guy’
SIMPIWE PILISO Published:Jan 13, 2008

‘He was ready to listen to your problems, not because he’s going to do
anything ... but he can at least say, ‘‘shame” ’

NATIONAL Police Commissioner Jackie Selebi described alleged Mafia boss
Glenn Agliotti as a close friend who was always prepared to listen to
his problems over a macchiato.

The affidavit compiled by the Scorpion’s head advocate, Leonard
McCarthy, during an interview with Selebi in November last year,
revealed that the country’s most senior policeman had much more than a
casual friendship with the alleged Mafia boss.

McCarthy questioned Selebi, who was under oath, about his relationship
with murdered mining magnate Brett Kebble, his association and knowledge
of a number of alleged criminals associated with Agliotti, and the
extent of his friendship with the alleged drug kingpin.

In the 80-page transcript of the meeting with McCarthy, Selebi denied
discussing matters related to crime with Agliotti, but rather how they
engaged in topics ranging from Agliotti’s holidays in Mauritius and
shopping excursions in London.

“He [Agliotti] is a person who is worried about what shirt he’s going to
wear ... and [why] these sandals are not sitting well, and that sort of
thing,” he said.

But halfway through the transcript, Selebi revealed that he talked about
the smuggling of drugs and counterfeit goods in the country.

“He was somebody who gave me the impression that he’s listening ... and
concerned.”

Selebi said he first met Agliotti in 1994 while working as the head of
the ANC’s Department of Social Welfare.

Selebi had been deployed to take charge of a project to bring exiles
scattered across the world back into the country.

“I knew him [Agliotti] before I got to the police [service] ... and the
kind of relationship that existed then was, this is somebody who is
ready to listen to your problems, not because he’s going to do anything
about it, but he can at least say, ‘shame’.”

Selebi said he often found it difficult coping with the pressure of his
previous job, where he had to track down exiles and assist them in
readjusting to South Africa.

“In and around that time, you needed somebody who could say, ‘shame’,
maybe, ‘let’s go and have a macchiato’ .”

Selebi said he “never, ever suspected” that Agliotti was an alleged
criminal master-mind.

Asked whether his friend had ever paid any of his bills or given him any
gifts, Selebi said Agliotti once gave him a Swiss Army knife for his
birthday.

The Scorpions have raided several of Agliotti’s businesses.

One of these was an events management company, Maverick Masupatsela,
where investigators were instructed to seize documents containing
references to fraud, theft and Prevention of Organised Crime Act
contraventions.

Although Selebi denied knowing any of the activities that took place at
Agliotti’s company, he acknowledged visiting the premises in Midrand,
north of Johannesburg.

Selebi said he initially believed that the company, with the
abbreviation, MKVA, dealt with the ANC’s military veterans since
Masupatsela was a name that was given to ANC pioneers in exile.

“When I heard that he’s busy with these people, MKVA, and there was a
name Masupatsela, it made sense to me,” Selebi said.

“But the people involved there are people that I would not touch with a
broomstick,” he said.

Although Selebi said it “killed” him that he failed to see through
Agliotti, he described the alleged Mafia boss as unintelligent.

“He’s not very sharp, he’s just a nice guy.”

Selebi also described Agliotti as a “very impressionable person”.

When McCarthy asked Selebi what he was worth, the commissioner said: “I
am worth what I get at the end of the month, that comes from government.
That’s what I’m worth. Everything I own is connected with that.”

Selebi said he had no shareholdings in any businesses.

Selebi also acknowledged that he had met murdered mining magnate Brett
Kebble at least four times.

Selebi told McCarthy he was shocked and saddened by the manner in which
he was treated in his own country.

He said he had received words of encouragement and support from members
in Interpol, the United Nation’s Human Rights Commission and the SA
Human Rights Commission.

Selebi said these people and more believed in his innocence: “If people
outside the country can know me like this, why is it [in] my country
people don’t believe me,” he asked

***

sunday independent

Selebi has Mbeki dancing on eggs
Flustered president sends national police chief home on holiday pending
outcome of his trial on criminal charges, but says 'it's business as
usual' and cuts journalists' questioning short

January 13, 2008 Edition 1

Jeremy Gordin and Sapa

Jackie Selebi, the fourth major government official to get the chop on
President Thabo Mbeki's watch, was sent on extended leave of absence
from midnight on Friday, bolstering local and overseas perceptions that
the administration of justice and policing are in a troubled state.

Prosecutors said on Friday, following an unsuccessful court application
by Selebi, that they would charge him with corruption.

Mbeki announced yesterday that Selebi had been replaced by Tim Williams,
one of four deputy national police commissioners. He will be the
country's acting national commissioner.

The decision on Selebi was overdue and welcome, said the DA spokeswoman
on safety and security, Dianne Kohler Barnard.

"The silence on the part of President Thabo Mbeki and the minister of
safety and security has been deafening but, thankfully, the president
has announced that he has accepted Selebi's offer to vacate his office,"
she said.

"The DA will make contact with the senior management of Interpol to
ensure that they are aware of the developments surrounding Selebi and to
ask whether he has similarly offered his resignation to that body."

Last night, Interpol would not comment on the pending criminal charges
against Selebi, but its executive committee will meet next month to
discuss the matter, according to its website.

Interpol said that, though it was "inappropriate" for it to comment on
the investigation into Selebi's activities, "it should be stated that
[Interpol] president Selebi has significantly helped the organisation
and its member countries to enhance security and police co-operation
worldwide".

The DA said it had demanded that Mbeki suspend Selebi as increasingly
serious allegations circulated about his activities.

"The latest developments around Jackie Selebi have proved exactly why
the Scorpions should never be incorporated into the [police], where they
would have been under the management of the same man they were
investigating," said Kohler Barnard.

Kohler Barnard said the call to disband and reassign the Scorpions was
in reaction to charges being laid against ANC president Jacob Zuma, and
the naive belief that such a move would make those charges evaporate.

But Mbeki, who said yesterday that he had decided that the national
police commissioner should go on leave, said it was business as usual
and appeared deliberately to downplay his decision to suspend Selebi
from duty. He refused to take more than five questions on the subject at
a press conference at the Union Buildings.

Mbeki said he had spent the morning with all the national deputy police
commissioners making certain that all legal processes would be respected
by everyone and that the police services would operate "normally".

Selebi was the fourth administration or government official connected
with national safety and security to be forced to walk away from his job.

The other three were Jacob Zuma, sacked from the deputy presidency by
Mbeki in the wake of the conviction of Schabir Shaik on charges of
corruption, Billy Masetlha, the former head of the national intelligence
agency, who was suspended and then fired by Mbeki after apparently
falling out with him, and Vusi Pikoli, the national director of public
prosecutions, who was suspended by Mbeki apparently for getting a
warrant for Selebi's arrest towards the end of last year without telling
Mbeki or the minister of justice, Brigitte Mabandla.

Mbeki said he had been told that Selebi would be charged with corruption
by the National Prosecuting Authority this week.

On Friday, Selebi made an urgent application to have the courts prevent
the NPA from charging and prosecuting him. Judge Nico Coetzee of the
Pretoria High Court found that the NPA's responding affidavit contained
an indictment of Selebi that, on the face of it, had "a reasonable
prospect of success".

Mbeki became palpably flustered when he was asked why he had treated
Jacob Zuma and Selebi differently.

He fired Zuma from the deputy presidency after the verdict in the 2005
Shaik trial but has let Selebi go on a leave of absence.

"If you look at the statement I made after Deputy President Zuma was
relieved of his duties in 2005," Mbeki said, "and at the statement that
Zuma made at the time, you will see that there is a world of difference
between the two matters."

Mbeki also refused to see any connection between the Ginwala Commission
into the suspension of Pikoli and the revelation on Friday that Selebi
was finally going to be charged.

He refused to comment on whether there was still a need for a Ginwala
Commission.

"You obviously know more about the Ginwala Commission than I do," Mbeki
told a questioning reporter.

***

12/01/2008 18:12 - (SA)
Desperate calculations still fail to get commissioner Selebi out of his
pickle

Dumisane Lubisi

JACOB Sello Selebi must have had his Standard 4 (Grade 6) mathematics
teacher in mind when he brought an urgent application to to the Pretoria
high court to stop the national prosecuting authority (NPA) from
arresting him.

A day before, Selebi’s police officers had arrested the Scorpions’
Gauteng head, Gerrie Nel, on charges relating to corruption and
defeating the ends of justice.

Nel, a respected advocate for the crime-busting unit, is neither a
dangerous criminal nor a flight risk. Analysts have said there was no
need for the humiliating arrest that he suffered in front of his
children and wife.

A group of about 20 heavily armed policemen had waited for Nel for
nearly seven hours on the street leading to his house in Garsfontein,
Pretoria.

He was handcuffed and loaded in a police vehicle and kept overnight at
the Pretoria Moot police station.

And to rub salt into the wound, police only intended to take him to
court on Friday – three nights after his arrest.

As is now well known, that did not happen. Nel only spent a single night
in custody and was released after a hastily organised bail hearing in
the Pretoria magistrate’s court after his lawyers prepared an urgent
high court application for his release from police cells.

Selebi, knowing very well that he had been under investigation by the
Scorpions for some time now for his association with convicted drug
trafficker Glenn Agliotti, must have thought hard and decided that the
wheels would turn and the Scorpions would also humiliate him the same
way they had humiliated Nel.

On Wednesday afternoon he lodged an urgent application to prevent his
arrest.

Those who did Standard 4 will remember that in mathematics there is
algebra, which requires the solving of a certain variable, which can be
an “x”.

In trying to solve for the sum of “x”, one is required to divide – with
the same number – on the left and also on the right side.

In those years, it became a sing-along when a teacher would show the
examples to the pupils and this would be shouted out loudly by everyone:
“What has been done on the left, must also be done on the right.”

So, one wonders if our dear national commissioner thought of this and
said to himself: “Since Nel was arrested, the Scorpions will also arrest
me and disgrace me just as Nel was disgraced.”

In panic mode, Selebi decided he should not be arrested or prosecuted as
he is “National Commissioner of Police and head of Interpol”.

In his argument, Selebi said “the decision that I should be charged will
have a severe and detrimental effect on law enforcement in the country
and contingency plans will have to be in place to minimise the effect
that such a decision will have on the day-to-day running of the South
African Police Service”.

He further argued that the NPA was about to make its decision to arrest
him and that such an announcement would do “irreparable harm”.

He said charging him would interfere with his international obligations
towards law enforcement as head of Interpol and would affect the
structure and effectiveness of ­Interpol.

This would also have a “serious and irreparable” negative effect on the
international perception of this country, he claimed.

“As the National Commissioner of SAPS, my status and reputation will be
irreparably harmed by any decision of the NPA to charge me.

“The police officials throughout the country are extremely loyal to me
and if I am charged it will have a serious detrimental affect on their
morale and effectiveness in law enforcement,” he argued.

Selebi’s arguments may be valid but the same reasons he advanced for a
stay on his arrest were not considered when Nel was arrested.

Nel might not be the head of the NPA but he represents a state body that
has over the years been successful in the fight against organised crime
in this country.

The constitution of the country requires that all people are equal
before the law, but precedents have been set in this country.

Politicians, senior government officials and businessmen are not
arrested at their homes but are asked to present themselves at a police
station on an agreed upon date where they will be charged and then taken
to court.

In any event, Judge Nico Coetzee said Selebi’s reputation could not be
tarnished further even if he were charged since it was well known that
he would be charged.

This week, we also learnt that the conduct of the police in obtaining a
warrant of arrest for Nel was questionable and that his docket was not
checked by a prosecutor before the arrest was made.

The National Prosecution Act requires that before arrests are made,
prosecutors must satisfy themselves that there is enough evidence for a
case.

In Nel’s case, this did not happen.

Advocate Mokotedi Mpshe, the acting National Director of Public
Prosecutions, said even before Selebi had brought his urgent court
application, a meeting had been arranged with his lawyers where the date
for the police commissioner to avail himself in court would have been
discussed.

In court, the NPA undertook not to embarrass Selebi by slapping
handcuffs on him.

After the court case a Scorpions official was overheard saying to a
colleague: “Maybe Selebi should also be arrested just like Nel was.”

Mpshe said Nel’s arrest would not affect the announcement of the
decision to prosecute Selebi.

Until that announcement, we will not know if Nel will be in charge of
Selebi’s prosecution or if the task will be handed to Scorpions
investigative director, Thanda Mngwengwe.