[DEBATE] : (Fwd) Human Rights Day leaflet, Joburg
pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Mar 7 21:00:49 GMT 2007
21 March is human rights day….
BUT human rights have gone missing in:
IRAQ, still under US occupation
PALESTINE, still under Israeli apartheid
ZIMBABWE, under Mugabe’s dictatorship
SOMALIA, facing still more war
Swaziland, rule of the King, still no democracy
South Africa, Government carries out neo-liberal programme GEAR.
Extremely high unemployment and HIV infection rates.
Housing and land shortages. Bucket toilets still in some areas.
Freedom to protest under attack
The rich are getting richer and the poor poorer
Residents, students and workers in Potchefstroom, East Rand, Northwest,
Khutsong, Eldorado Park, Soweto, Freedom park, Vaal triangle and many
other places across the country are saying:
· Free water should be a human right
· HOUSING must be a human right
· SANITATION is a human right
· ELECTRICITY is a human right
· LAND is a human right
· FREE EDUCATION is a human right!
· FREE MEDICINES that are easy to get for people with HIV-Aids
We are also marching in solidarity with communities in the Platinum rich
areas who are being dispossessed of their land, forced into slum
settlements without services, harassed, victimized, beaten, tortured and
arrested for opposing the mine bosses and government in their greed for
and We want the right to decide our own future!
* We also want the right to WORK;
* We demand a decent living for UNEMPLOYED and proper facilities for
* The human rights of immigrants must be protected from XENOPHOBIA and
* We want US MILITARY BASES OUT OF AFRICA. Bush has set up a special
Africa command to bring our continent under his thumb, but we’ve had
enough of imperialism, sekwanele!
GET UP, STAND UP!
STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS!
Join the protest march on 21st March!
Assemble at Library Gardens
to march to Constitutional Hill
Bring your issues - telephone 011 336 9190 to join the organizing committee.
Called by the Social Movements Indaba (SMI)
Another world is possible
(Organising Committee meetings Mondays 4.30pm for 5, 123 Pritchard
Street, 5th floor.)
More information about the Debate-list